I don’t use party shuffle, too lazy to pick songs and stuff. So I have a special playlist, a smart one, that I use. This playlist assures me a continuous stream of music with 3.5 days turn around time (assumes you are listening to itunes 24 hours a day, of course, so it’s more like 10 days).
Here is the playlist I use. It assumes you like to rate songs. It will work out-of-the-box because iTunes gives 3 stars to new songs and I only filter those below that:
- Create a smart playlist
- Add 4 rules:
- Genre is not Spoken Word: remove almost all the audiobooks
- Genre is not Audiobook: remove the rest of the audiobooks
- Genre is not Speech: IT conversations
- My Rating is greater than XX (two stars)
- Make sure you have Match all the following conditions
- Don't limit the number of songs. If you do, chose least recently played as selection style
- if you disable songs with the checkbox, select Match only checked songs. Otherwise clear it.
- Live Updating on
I also have the prefpane Rating Bar.prefPane installed. There are other options, but I like this one.
So, this playlist makes sure I listen to different stuff all the time, and if I’m listening to a track I don’t like, I just change it’s rating to 1 or 2 stars and it stop’s playing (you must press play after, unfortunately).
One thing I noticed, is that I don’t have enough music: 10 days to rotate my music collection is small. I’ll have to start ripping more CD’s…